Director of Business Development at thinkLaw
**Application Deadline is November 19th**
thinkLaw exists to create a world where critical thinking is no longer a luxury good. We help educators teach critical thinking to all students, not just the highest achieving ones at the most exclusive schools. Rote memorization and spoon-fed learning will not prepare young people for the rapidly changing workforce that awaits them. thinkLaw addresses educational inequity by giving teachers the tools to empower all students access to critical thinking. We do this through our award-winning curriculum that uses real-life legal cases in upper grades and fairly tales & nursery rhymes in lower grades as a hook to unleash the critical thinking potential of all students and powerful professional development that helps educators apply rigorous inquiry strategies that help them move beyond asking “what” and “how to” to “why” and “what if.”
We are seeking a strategic marketing and partnership development leader to support the dramatic acceleration of thinkLaw past the tipping point, bringing about a waterfall-like momentum of new development. This Jane or Jack of all trades will tell the story of thinkLaw, incite a wave of national engagement, and execute the nitty gritty tasks to reach our ambitious sales and marketing goals. We are looking for someone with a passion for our mission and the execution chops to make it a reality.
thinkLaw has partnered with over 100 schools and organizations in 14 states since launching in June 2015 and has over 2,000 opportunities in the pipeline thanks to our tremendous exposure at national and regional education conferences, social media and email marketing efforts, and district-wide approvals in hundreds of school districts.
Can you help our small, but mighty startup team expand our critical thinking revolution to 150+ partnerships in time for the 2019-20 school year?
A world where critical thinking is taught by all teachers and to all students, leveling the playing field for 21st century success.
We help educators teach critical thinking to ALL students.
Our Core Values
We listen to understand, speak to be understood, and demonstrate the courage to tackle the tough but necessary conversations across lines of difference.
We dream big, create boldly, and dare to improve our world dramatically, approaching our work with creativity and an endless set of possibility.
Making a Difference
Our bottom line is impact, so we prioritize our actions and our inactions through the lens of maximizing this bottom line.
The thinkLaw Method
- We make it easy. We are always willing to do the hard work on our end if it’s going to make someone’s work easier on the other side.
- We make it engaging. We work hard to make sure our work is received with tears, hell yeahs, this is unacceptables, gasps, are you freaking kidding mes, and laughter because we understand the emotional connection that comes from engaging our partners and community members.
- We ground our work in critical thinking. We consider multiple perspectives, we use evidence to back up our decision-making, and we are committed to continuous improvement of our thinking around every aspect of what we do.
- We err on the side of fairness and justice, always. We consider equity, not equality in deciding what is needed for our team, our partners, and our work. We understand that what is legal is not always just and what is acceptable is not always fair, and actively seek to be the hammer that helps to bend the arc of history towards justice.
Your First 90 Days
- Assess the most successful current sales and marketing methodologies and integrate these proven streams of business development into a comprehensive execution plan including ambitious goals and weekly metrics to assess progress.
- Use our existing resources, especially our integrated CRM platform, to create and execute a sustainable plan to engage with 2000+ existing prospective partners and move them along the sales pipeline resulting in at least 50 new partnerships for the 2019-20 school year.
- Autonomy and independence
- Flexible work environment (virtual workspace) & family-friendly business practices
- Base Salary/Contracted Rate: $51K annually
- Competitive benefits, including healthcare and dental coverage reimbursements.
- The chance to work for mission-based social enterprise that is revolutionizing education, with significant opportunities for growth both in impact and in compensation within the first 9 months of employment.
Creativity for results is needed, including:
- Creating systems and positioning thinkLaw in such a way that at least 50% of growth is generated from automated channels you develop.
- Inventing and innovating practices that yield and ever-growing community of engaged subscribers and followers to well over 10,000 on multiple platforms.
We need someone who is:
A Gifted Communicator
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills for proactive communication with decision-makers, influencers, and fans alike.
An Ambassador of Follow Up and Follow Through
- Endowed with impeccable communication and organizational habits that are beyond what is thought as reasonable such that you could be crowned Master of the Universe for follow-up and follow-through.
A Creator AND Executor
- Capable of leading big-picture strategic initiatives AND executing the nitty-gritty, painfully mundane tasks needed to make thinkLaw’s goals a reality.
A Wonk for Data and our Educator Sector
- Data-oriented with an eye for what matters to our partners and thought leaders with laser focus on the needs of students, educators, and the evolving education sector.
A Rapid Accelerant of Business Development
- Cultivate expansion strategies for new and current partnerships including and not limited to conference circuits, influencer networks, social media platforms, and exemplar sales methodologies.
- Gather and use market intelligence to further enhance sales and leadership position in the marketplace.
- Identify decision-makers and build relationships, introduce and educate target audience on product offerings, value proposition, and finalize partnerships.
- Meet or exceed goals pertaining to sales, quality and service.
As Scrappy as They Come
- Flexible and resilient enough to deal with the pressure, tight deadlines, and high stakes of working at a rapidly-growing startup.
- At ease with the idea of building and flying a plane at the same time and comfortable drinking water from a fire hydrant.
- An impeccable reputation for honesty and integrity.
- 2 or more years of successful prior professional experience in organizations serving low-income communities.
- An ability to not only solve problems, but find them, discovering what you do not know and having the ability to gain whatever skills necessary to get the job done.
- Prior experience with warm and cold prospecting resulting in rapid business development.
- History of creating engaging marketing and media campaigns resulting in sales and partner development.
- An impressive portfolio of crisp, trend-worthy, compelling graphics.
- Proven ability to manage several projects at one time while paying strict attention to timelines and details.
- Ability to communicate up to Founder and CEO as a thought-partner to advance thinkLaw.
- Proven ability to manage several projects at one time while paying strict attention to details.
The “Would be Nice”-haves
- Previous experience as a creator, seller, and or buyer of school curriculum.
- Previous experience working successfully in a virtual workplace.
- Strong connections in the education sector that will allow you to bring growth immediately.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree or higher in education, marketing, nonprofit management, or related field.
- Prior experience with a startup or similar early-stage organization.
thinkLaw is an Equal Opportunity Employer. If this position speaks to your heart, please submit a resume and cover letter to Nina Tinsley at email@example.com with the subject line (Application for FIRSTNAME_LASTNAME), including at least 3 references, at least 1 who is a prior or current direct supervisor. Thank for your time and consideration, and please feel free to contact Nina for any questions you might have.
**Application Deadline is November 19th**