Welcome! Below you will find a job a description for a principal position that you can review and apply for right on this page. If you have additional questions, feel free to send us an email.
6th-12th Grade Principal for a STEM Focused Charter School
OneTeacher is currently seeking a 6th-12th grade Principal for a STEM and Project Based Learning focused charter school in Phoenix, Arizona for the 2018-2019 school year.
Our school’s philosophical approach to increasing student achievement in Phoenix is rooted in four foundational beliefs.
- STEM competencies and scientific values are necessary for success in the 21st century workforce.
- Socioeconomic status does not determine access to or achievement in STEM fields.
- Citizens who understand Arizona’s STEM challenges will invest in solving them.
- Integrated, meaningful educational experiences result in deeper learning.
The Principal provides overall leadership to the academic team, ensuring the execution of exemplary instructional practices that are consistent with the school’s core values, mission, and vision. The Principal is directly responsible for internal operations of the school, including Curriculum, Instruction, & Assessment; Professional Development; Student Culture; and Instructional Staff Recruitment, Retention, and Evaluation. The role is evaluated by the CEO.
The following is a representative list of responsibilities that may fall under this role, and anticipated time spent working in each area. Other responsibilities may require attention of this role as the school operations dictate.
Curriculum, Instruction, & Assessment
- Facilitate the creation and revision of the curriculum for each subject, including standards to be mastered in each quarter and a vision for mastery of each standard; recommended texts and resources for each subject; and supplemental and remedial resources for each subject
- Execute and proactively, strategically revise the Academics Handbook
- Assist in the process to develop, refine, and/or codify school policies and procedures related to the academic program
- Review and provide feedback and support in the development of unit plans and school-wide assessments. These include both traditional assessments aligned to the vision of mastery, and authentic assessments that frequently integrate multiple subject areas, provide solutions to real-world problems, and relate to students’ experiences and interests
- Review and provide feedback and support in the development of daily lesson plans and assessments that are aligned to both the traditional assessment and authentic assessment
- Observe teachers on a weekly basis and provide feedback, both written and through conferencing, on how to improve instruction
- Oversee the state testing process, and ensure compliance with state-mandated instruction, assessment, and reporting, including requirements for English Language Learners
- Manage Response to Intervention process and student intervention action plans after quarterly benchmark testing
- Create teacher, student, and classroom schedules that maximize student learning
- Assist Office Manager in scheduling scholar-led conferences, exhibitions, and special schedules for school-wide assessments and state-wide standardized tests
- Provide instruction to students through 1 STEM in Action elective course each semester, developing a model classroom for teachers to observe best practices
- Regularly report student academic achievement and progress to the Governing Board
- Create and execute a strategic school culture plan that engages students and parents in the school community in positive and achievement-focused ways
- Implement spotlight events to showcase student learning, teachers, and the academic program
Implement the school wide discipline plan, with contribution from the CEO, as needed
- Provide input on adjustments to the school wide discipline plan, as it relates to classroom behavior management and the academic program
- Create a year-long professional development plan for teachers, both school wide and individual plans, focused on increasing teacher effectiveness
- Develop a budget for professional development, in collaboration with the CEO
- Facilitate all professional development sessions for instructional staff
Staff Recruitment, Retention, & Evaluation
- Hire and evaluate teachers, with input from the CEO
- Support and motivate teachers, including Special Education teachers, through frequent classroom observations, feedback, and professional development to maximize academic achievement
- Bachelors Degree or higher from an accredited college or university (Masters Preferred)
- Five years minimum teaching experience at the elementary, middle, or high school level
- Five years minimum school administrative experience
- Experience with and passion for working with STEM education
- Experience leading at the middle and/or high school level
$80,000-$90,000 commensurate with experience
Fill out the form below or email a resume and cover letter to Nina Tinsley at Nina.Tinsley@oneteacheraz.com. Applications will be reviewed as they are received, and candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.